A photograph of the Guru Nanak Institution Complex as in the year 2000.


History of Guru Nanak Institution

Guru Nanak Institution, Ipoh was founded by the late Sardar Tharam Singh, retired Registrar Supreme Court, Ipoh, in January 1951, under the auspices of Khalsa Diwan Malaya ( Sikh Association of Malaya).

Funds were provided by the members of the Diwan, but the purchase of the present premises was made possible by a liberal donation of $22,500.00 by the late Dr. Jagat Singh of Penang, the then President of the Diwan. The Diwan had purchased land to the extent of 18 acres on the other side of Maxwell Road ( now Lim Gardens ), for a new school.

The first Manager of Guru Nanak Institution was the late Sardar Tharam Singh, and a Committee to run the School was appointed by the Diwan. It consisted on 7 members, the Principal being the ex-officio Secretary.

Sardar Ditt Singh, a retired Government servant and a member of the Elections Commission for the Federation, was the next Manager of the School. All members except the Principal were ‘Honorary’ in the strictest sense of the word. Any excess of revenue was ploughed back into the school funds.

Although classed as a private school, GNI did not belong to any individual, and it was not a business concern. It was solely meant to provide English education to every one irrespective of race and creed. Religion was not subject.

The school started with an enrolment of 300 under the Principal Sardar Dayal Singh, a retired teacher from Anderson School Ipoh. The enrolment figure reached 1300 in 1955. But from that year, the enrolment started to drop when school children started to go to vocational schools opened up by the Government.

The school secured good percentage of passes in the Lower Secondary and Cambridge School Certificate examinations – never below 50%.

Guru Nanak Institution Building.

A 3-storey block of the Guru Nanak Institution Building.

 

 

 

 

Convention of Sikh Students Guru Nanak Institution - 1963

Convention of Sikh Students Guru Nanak Institution – 1963

 

To be contuinued